21 And the Lord
went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the
way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they
might travel by day and by night. 22 The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people. - Exodus 13:21-22
It was 7yrs after our marriage, 2 kids, and 4 apartments later, I told my husband that we needed to find a house. I was tired of moving around. I told God that I really wish to have a place to settle down for longer than an year or two before moving again. Have I mentioned that I moved across the ocean, and two apartments before I got married? All for my great adventure in life, oh yes, and for being part of God's grand story. Let's start with my moving across the ocean part, shall we?
After prayers answered, my dream come true, I was coming to US for studying my Master Degree! The only thing is that I didn't know anyone in the region. People told me to contact students association for connections and help. Exactly how I got connected with this specific student and found the apartment, I cannot remember. I do remember this - Praying and trusting a whole lot in God, and hoping He made the items on my wishing list come true. Did he?
With little budget I had, no connection in the city I was heading to, nor money for buying a car, I pray for a place that would have heat included in rent, near public transportation, and somewhat furnished. God gave me more than I asked for! It's an apartment with everything I prayed for, and more! The school shuttle was at the door step, bus stop as well. Laundromat, Chinese take out, and supermarket! Best of all, I didn't even need to move anything into the apartment, but "inherited" all the bed, desk, dinning set, cooking ware and more with $300 cash!
Just as I eventually flew oversea, signed the lease, settled in with my two big suitcases, I suddenly realized, I was really on my own. No more comfort zone. A set of keys, thousands of miles away from home and people I know, I truly had no one else. No go-to shops, no go-to friends, then I realized, there was not even rice! Where can I get a bag of rice? I can't afford buying cooked rice from a take out place all the time. Too expensive! This might seem funny and silly for me now, it was a serious issue. As someone had no car, nor connection, not to mention having no knowledge of where a Chinese supermarket was, I was truly lost. I prayed, as I had done all along. One day, while I was looking through things I inherited along with the furniture I purchased through out the apartment, underneath the kitchen sink, I saw a bag! A bag with little white cornel in it! It's was a new bag of rice! It's sitting there, unopened, patiently awaiting my discovery! As if it had been there waiting for me all these time! I was SO happy and praising the Lord!
Sure, there was more to my new life at a new school and place in this new country. But, this first step was set in such a way that I cannot take any credit; in such unforgettable way that I can never forget how God was present in this chapter of my story. Actually, not only was He present, but He went before me. He went and prepared everything for me. He knew exactly what I need when I needed it. He knew, this was just the beginning of the big long journey ahead of this naive girl from Asia. The girl who had no one else to hold onto but trusted Him wholeheartedly. She was holding on nothing but His hand to start this unknown journey in America. So, He made sure the starting of this new chapter was grand, super and unforgettable. He made sure His fingerprint was clearly shown, and His story is written through mine; so not only I will never forget, but His name be forever praised and glorified.
Just like He did for the Israelite thousands of years ago, He had done it over and over again for all His children faithfully through out the ages, and He surely did/does it for me - He went before me, by day in the pillar of cloud to lead me along the way, and pillar of fire by night to give me light, did not depart from before me. Wherever it goes, I go; wherever it stops, I stop. It's not always the easiest way, but it's always the best way. For it's prepared and led by the Lord.
And it's Because He Loves Me So ...
30 "The Lord your God who goes before you will himself fight for you, just as he did for you in Egypt before your eyes," - Deuteronomy 1:30
6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” - Deuteronomy 31:6
No comments:
Post a Comment