When I was little, my mom would place me on my back, laying on her laps, lean my head backwards to wash my hairs. She would chat with me then, with all kinds of things. I don't really remember much, but do still recall that hair washing time is a mommy loving me time.
Although not remembering much of the conversation took place then, I do remember, that's the time I learned The Lord's Prayer, in Taiwanese. (Not even in Mandarin, but Taiwanese.) Whenever my mom was teaching me that, my father would be standing at the bathroom door, questioning my mom, "Is it necessary to teach her that prayer, since she is so little?" Mom would always smile, gently replied, "Yes, why not?" then proceed to teaching me the prayer. That period of time didn't last long. She passed away when I was nine year old.
Oh, was my mom right? That prayer, has been a prayer for me to hold onto live through out the years.
It's the prayer I say, when I miss my mommy.
It's the prayer I say, when I feel scared.
It's the prayer I say, when I feel hurt.
It's the prayer I say, when I feel lonely and helpless.
It's the prayer I say, when I feel blessed and happy.
It's the prayer I say when I don't know what to say in prayers.
It's the prayer I say when ...... whenever!
You see, It's the prayer I say all the time. For it reminds me that hair washing time I spent with my mommy. It reminds me my mommy's hands and voice. It reminds me the warmth of her laps and hugs. It reminds me when I was sitting next to her in the pew at church and try to catch up with her reciting the Lord's Prayer. It reminds me there is always guidance from Him whenever there is none within sight. It reminds me there is comfort from Him when I was/am hurt and have no mom (or no one) in reach for comfort.
It reminds me, no matter how cruel this world could be, there is always Him; His hands to hold onto; His Words to believe in; His world to look forward to; His race to keep running for; His Kingdom to trust and lean upon; His love, above all, to take security in. It reminds me what Jesus taught us to pray in Matthew 6:9-13:
"Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debt, as we forgive our debtors.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil,
For Yours is the kingdom, and Power, and the Glory, forever."
(and yes, I still recite it in Taiwanese.)
I now have two girls, I am teaching them to say the Lords prayers as well,
because I love them.
My mom taught me this, because she loves me.
My Lord helped me learn and remember the prayer,
Because He Loves Me So.
No comments:
Post a Comment